Friday, April 11, 2014

Dealing with Forms of Anxiety

Here's another guest post from Twin Uno and she is talking about something a lot of people go through. Check it out.

  •  Social anxiety is a discomfort or a fear when a person is in social interactions that involve a concern about being judged or evaluated by others.

     Anxiety is stress that can come from any event or thought that makes you feel frustrated, angry, or nervous. Anxiety is a feeling of fear, unease, and worry. The source of these symptoms is not always known.


    About three years ago when I had just moved to Tennessee I had noticed something wasn't right. I was more shy. I couldn't raise my hand in class. I would freak out over little tiny messes and I couldn't go to the bathroom by myself. Someone always had to go with me.

    I started doing some research at school after realizing my new habits and had come to the conclusion that I had anxiety. I also had a form of anxiety called social anxiety.

    After noticing all these habits I started to hate myself. Making myself even more self continuous than I already was. So I wanted help.

    I started seeing a therapist. This therapist didn't give me medication. She gave me tools for life. One thing she taught me to do when I get anxious or feel uneasy is the relaxation method. The relax action method is you pretty much relaxing your entire body starting from your head to your toes saying take all the stress and the anxiety out of my head and let it sink into to the bed. Its easier when your laying down. Another tool she taught me was concentrating on something else when you have for example a lot of people around you and you don't feel comfortable something I did was a tapped my fingers on my leg (its not noticeable because people with social anxiety don't want to be noticed) I also counted till my anxiety was maintainable. The last tool for life I was taught was when I was in an anxious situation I couldn't handle is close my eyes and think of my happy place. Think of how it feels, how it tastes, how it smells and also how it sounds.

    Before I moved my happy place happened to be on the beach with my nephew. So how it felt: hot. How it tasted: salty because of the water. How it smells fishy lol and how it sounded was loud and I could always hear my nephew's cute little laugh.

    There's a ton of tools for life methods you just have to figure out what works for you or if it works for you. Before I knew it I was trying out for the school choir. I even brought myself to changing schools. I made new friends. I could raise my hand in class I could even go to the bathroom by myself.

    My therapist was even impressed with how much I had accomplished within a short amount of time. I'm more outgoing now. I'm still shy. But I am also still working on things. I will always deal with anxiety and social anxiety. But as for now I'm just me.

    Photo Credit:sandiegopsychologist.com

    No comments:

    Post a Comment